Tuesday 10 February 2015

Who Knew My Hats Would Be So Popular?

I think they're adorable, but initially I wasn't sure there would be much interest in a cloche, a 1920's style hat. But, I couldn't resist-I had to make a few and see what happened. I decided to use velveteen and started off with a claret coloured fabric that I finished with a black lace brim and a handmade chiffon rose on the side. When I listed it on Etsy it was quick to get noticed and has become my most popular item.



The cloche hat is one of the most recognizable fashion accessories to come out of the Roaring Twenties. Originally invented in 1908 by French fashion designer Caroline Reboux, it took more than a decade before the cloche became all the rage. Cloche is French for "bell" which the hat borrows it's shape from. It's a snug fitting hat that sits low on the forehead just above the brow, which is not a traditional fit that we are used to today. Because of its popularity, many new hairstyles were also inspired by the hat including the iconic bob. The style was the perfect frame for the the hat.

I'm sure that shows such as Downton Abbey and Boardwalk Empire, as well as the remake of the Great Gatsby, have increased their popularity.... and my interest in experimenting with lots of new styles. I think I have approximately 20 different styles in a variety of colours, with some lovely spring inspired ones that I plan to debut on Etsy and the Women's Lifestyle show in London, Ontario in March.

I have also decorated some with vintage beaded applique trim salvaged from 1920s dresses, and can't wait to show them off. Its always so much fun to see people's reaction when they first see my collection of hats at shows. Most women can't resist stopping in to take a look and it doesn't take much convincing to get them to try one on, They are always so surprised to see how flattering they are. I especially love when a husband encourages his wife to stop in and try on a hat--so much fun and lots of laughter!

If you ever have the opportunity to try one on-treat yourself....its guaranteed to put a smile on your face. Dressing up is so much fun and for a few minutes you can imagine you're a flapper, or one of the elegant Downton ladies. Who knows, you may not be able to leave it behind!



 
     


   

Take care.....Marian  xo     







No comments:

Post a Comment